Palliative care is the medical specialty, offered to inpatients at Baptist Medical Center South, that focuses on relief of the pain and other symptoms of serious, life-threatening illness. The goal is to improve quality of life for patients and their families. Palliative care is appropriate at any point in an illness. It can be provided at the same time as curative treatment.
Palliative care at Baptist Medical Center South offers patients:
- Relief from symptoms including pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, constipation, nausea and loss of appetite
- Strength to carry on with daily life
- Improved ability to tolerate medical treatments
- Better understanding of your condition and your choices for medical care
At Baptist Medical Center South, our board-certified palliative care team includes physicians, nurses, pastoral care and social workers. Together with your own doctor, we make sure that you receive:
- Expert treatment of your pain and symptoms
- Close communication about your illness and treatment choices
- Coordination of your care among all of your healthcare providers
- Emotional and spiritual support for you and your family
- Referral and coordination of home care services
You may already have been referred to the palliative care team, but if not, just ask your doctor for a referral. We work together with your primary care physician, so you will not have to give up your own doctor. For more information, please call the Baptist Health palliative care team at (334) 451-1693.